As ever in social media, there is an ongoing argument – this one about the importance, or non-importance, of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in your social media efforts. Those on the “pro” side stating that without SEO you will never receive traffic to your Web site, and those on the “con” side countering that SEO does not allow you to be truly engaging in your communications and that it’s just “gaming Google” and selling products like ScribeSEO. I tend to look for a middle ground. SEO can play a part in your social media planning, but without additional communications streams, be it blog posts or other engaging modes, SEO is worthless. Gearing every post with special SEO rules and ignoring the fact that your readers are mostly regular people who are checking your site out. And SEO does help when you are working in tags, such as YouTube, or even tagging blog posts.
My take on this is simple, yet as complex as you wish to make it.
SEO gives your reader a glimpse through the window of your house.
Reader engagement (including social networking engagement) invitingly opens the door for them,
Compelling and storytelling content keeps them returning for more.
All need to be in balance, all need to be approached in different ways – depending on your needs. Providing your social media communications a level of harmony that people find irresistible.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- RT @moment: Looking for the best tools for your mobile photography or filmmaking? Look no further: momnt.io/TheGearWeLoveTW 8 hours ago
- @ProfessorF Yeah! Carl Sagan talked about how to do that in "The Demon-Haunted World." 11 hours ago
- @ProfessorF What do you think, @CBarrows, should @Marvel's Captain America social media backlash be in next week's #FiveFavorites ? 😉 2 days ago
- @ProfessorF It'd be awesome if @Marvel and their current writing team would figure out what a shitty story arc is before they publish it. 2 days ago
- @ProfessorF Maybe instead of funding bogus juice startups, VCs can put some money toward rebuilding #Marvel's comic writing staff. 2 days ago