Play to Your Strengths
Some of the online discussion has recently asked who is the best to represent your organization in social media. Your PR or marketing agency? Or your in-house experts and communicators?
I’m going to go with your in house people. Having your social media team (which needs to be made up of people in your company from many disciplines – marketing, PR, sales, operations, development, programming, etc) spearheaded by your own employees allows your company to tap into a much deeper knowledge of the products, services, issues, etc. Much more in depth than your PR firm working 40 hours a month on your account.
This isn’t to denigrate the work that firms do for a client – it actually promotes a firewall separating the strengths of a firm and the company in question. The primary social media content and creation needs should come from your company’s evangelists while your firm can bring the team important insights about your company or a new idea for social media tools (for example). Sometimes that outside viewpoint can give your firm the great ideas to move your organization into a new communications phase.
When you start a communications team/Firm partnership, you need to establish the ground rules for what each side of the equation will do. Be careful to not let the line blur too much, each team will work to their strengths, and the people on each team can hold the other team accountable to working to those strengths.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Don't let your tactics guide your strategy - @brhoten #nuggsforUNM 1 day ago
- If you do cool stuff on social media, people and platforms will notice. Don't be boring. - @brhoten #nuggsforunm 1 day ago
- Sitting in on a Q&A with @Wendys social & digital mastermind @brhoten dropping serious knowledge! Thanks… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @ProfBenavidez: We have a few seats available for Wendy's social media presentation to @UNM_Anderson this morning at 11:15. Send me a dm… 1 day ago
- RT @moment: Looking for the best tools for your mobile photography or filmmaking? Look no further: momnt.io/TheGearWeLoveTW 2 days ago