“Bigger Boobs Through Social Media?”
If you are interested in social media, and learning how to get started or engage more in this burgeoning online media-sphere, then you have probably run across quite a few stories/blogpieces/ads pimping how “You Can Get 10,000 Twitter Followers in 30 Days!” or “You Too Can Become a Facebook Gawd!!1!!” and other such nonsense. To me these are nothing more than just the latest “How To Get Bigger Boobs Through Social Media”-esque BS lures to remove you from your money or time (both of which are important).
A lot of these try to latch onto our need to be recognized, to be acknowledged quickly for our brilliance – and claim to provide a quick, “gimme gimme gimme now” fix to achieving this. Like most things in life and business, working in social media is going to require a lot of patience, time, strategic planning and hard work.
One of the big ideas these “plans” leave out – especially important if you are a business owner or corporate type – is the need for some kind of merging of your strategy between social media and communications. Social media are great tools for building additional communications and increasing your community outreach/developing a community relations platform, but they will never really replace your communications/pr strategy. They can help augment it, but your social media outlets are really one more avenue to communicate with people, and need their own strategy to . But you need to have a firm strategy in place before you really jump in and drown in all the noise out there.
(as an aside, there will be a Holiday present for those people interested in social media and strategy coming up before Dec. 25.)
At the end of the day you’re not going to land 10,000 followers in a month, nor are you going to achieve deitific bliss on Facebook or – Buddha forgive – MySpace. As with most things in life, you need to work at it and show patience. Engage with your target audiences, look at the strategy you have developed – what do you want to say to them? What goals are you hoping to achieve? Why are you writing or recording?
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Don't let your tactics guide your strategy - @brhoten #nuggsforUNM 1 day ago
- If you do cool stuff on social media, people and platforms will notice. Don't be boring. - @brhoten #nuggsforunm 1 day ago
- Sitting in on a Q&A with @Wendys social & digital mastermind @brhoten dropping serious knowledge! Thanks… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @ProfBenavidez: We have a few seats available for Wendy's social media presentation to @UNM_Anderson this morning at 11:15. Send me a dm… 1 day ago
- RT @moment: Looking for the best tools for your mobile photography or filmmaking? Look no further: momnt.io/TheGearWeLoveTW 2 days ago